Wednesday 23 January 2013

A Poem About a Sony Television Set (Now a Weekly Series)

Once, people said that television would take the role of the parent.  They were right. Here is my second weekly installment of brand anthropomorphism.  Enjoy:

My Daddy's Name is Sony

Daddy sits in one place
and beams his lights at me
as I lie on my side
to watch his stories
and hear his movies

Daddy's name is Sony,
a man of glass and plastic
He listens to his family
laughing at his wit
or something kind of sick

Daddy can go louder
when you press the button
controlling his functions
directing me to friends
holding their figurines

"Time for a commercial!"
proclaims the saintly Daddy
becoming not so saintly
annoying all the family
with his toys and food

From hair to feet,
we are Daddy's stories
waiting to be seen
at Super Bowl halftime,
millions in view

My never-ending Daddy
glowing from a perch
and always changing
his collars and jewels
for a new bottle of wine

Daddy burns mercury
into my bedtime yawn
and summons me to
rest my lids to wake
up to brand new glows

And Daddy will be replaced
at the calling of the year
with a Daddy taller and flatter,
a universe in his head
to make the trains run








1 comment:

  1. A friend of a friend went to school with someone named Toshiba. So this is actually plausible.

    ReplyDelete