Saturday 19 January 2013

A Poem About a Genie Vacuum Cleaner

I always felt like writing a poem as a blog entry.  Strange idea, yes, but it's something I just wanted to do this time around.

In the future, will human beings have legitimate, intimate relationships with household appliances?  Sure, it sounds like an absurd idea, but in this consumer age, there's a lot of absurd stuff going on.  We could be heading down that road  Anyway, here's my poem.  The idea is pretty clear: a man professing his love to his Genie vacuum cleaner.  Enjoy:


My girl's in the locked trunk
sleeping on the cardboard
and snug in her plastic gown,
polished and factory checked
on her way to home

The girl named Genie
is the girl who truly knows me
There is no perfect girl
made outside the skin
Perfection is born in the factory

Genie's all receptive
plugged into the socket
She's humming to the floor
a drone I've known for years
Rambling on and on goes Genie

Genie is my interpreter
of muscling thoughts and vibes
surging through my openings
and living in the cleaning
of fibers in a day repeated twice

Genie cannot make a baby,
but who needs the family
when all you've got is Genie?
Worth more than baby boys and girls
is Genie at $80.55

I will dread the day
when Genie catches fire
to the halting of her motor
and the fade out of her drones,
the dimming of her lights

Hello, my Genie
Farewell, Genie, my love



















1 comment: