Saturday 2 February 2013

The Only Option

I remember the days of the Internet before Google came around.  Before Google, there were a number of search engines people visited.  Yahoo! was probably the most popular, but I remember using LycosExcite, and a variety of other search engines before Google came around.

Now that Google is the dominant search engine today, I feel no need to use the smaller ones.  The most powerful thing about branding is that it convinces you there is one option only, even though there can be more.

Perhaps there may be a better search engine out there than Google, but even if there was, Google has positioned itself as the only thing I can use, the most reliable thing I can use.  When you expose yourself to enough branding and enough advertising, you eventually adopt a series of items you'll stick to for almost the rest of your life.

Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered why, if Google was so great, there was no option for case-sensitivity. (Researching a history of shoes in Poland is somehow not the same as trying to buy shoe polish.)

    ReplyDelete