Thursday 29 November 2012

Volcano: My Personal Brand

My logo.

For my Advertising class in the Red River College of Applied Arts, Science and Technology Creative Communications program, we have been assigned to create personal brands for ourselves.  As you can see, I had to design a logo for this project.  I created a moniker called "Volcano".

Why "Volcano"? Why not just "Zach Samborski"? Well, I figured it would be good to create a concept that stood out.  In many ways, I am like a volcano.  Before it erupts, a volcano is simply just a form of mass rock.  When the volcano erupts, it stands out above everything else.

I am like a volcano in that I am as conservative as the rocks that surround me from time to time.  But on the odd occasion, I'll erupt -- not in anger, but rather in terms of projecting things like major creative ideas, opinions, and humor.  Some people have their own concepts.  For Hunter S. Thompson, there was Raoul Duke.  For me, there is The Volcano.

Like the volcano that erupts, I make my ideas known and my opinions clear when the time calls for them.  I will not be afraid to speak my mind on a given subject.  In my Journalism class, I spoke with anger when discussing parking meter increases.  I noticed I had the attention of almost the entire room.  In The Writer's Craft class, I was doing crazy song and dance routines that also had the attention of the entire room.

Like a volcano, I am unpredictable, and when I erupt with ideas, I seem to unleash them all at once.  I believe in the dramatic and the conceptual, and I try to incorporate the conceptual into almost anything, including the logo above.

Like a volcano, I make the strongest statement.  Like the volcano's eruption, I form strong opinions.  I am rarely apathetic.  I believe in a world where the unjust are rightly punished, where kindness is rewarded.  And I believe that collective thought should never take precedence over individual creativity.

And once I exit this Creative Communications program, I hope to leave my conceptual mark in the real world.  As someone who is hoping to major in Public Relations, I want to create campaigns of intrigue and memorability.  I want to take complicated messages and simplify them into memorable logos or one-word statements.  I want to create things that cannot go unnoticed.

It is necessary to blend in with all other rocks for awhile and then erupt with ideas at the precise moments.  Eruptions are not memorable if they are never-ending.  Eruptions are only memorable because they take people by surprise.  Sooner or later, I want to be known as someone who took the world by surprise.















3 comments:

  1. Zach, you broke down your logo's concept perfectly. This is something that you should print out and post above your desk. Don't forget what you want to achieve. Great stuff Zach. :)

    ReplyDelete